Looking for a sleep app to help you get a better nights sleep? We round up the best sleep apps so you can get a better nights sleep while your phone does the work.
Sleep App review
Sleep Cycle is an intelligent alarm clock that analyses your sleep and wakes you in the lightest sleep phase – the natural way to wake up feeling rested and relaxed. This sleep app is highly rated and offers you many different features such as:
- Sleep analysis with our patented sound analysis technology or if you prefer, the sensitive accelerometer in your iPhone
- Detailed sleep statistics and sleep graphs
- Carefully selected alarm melodies
- Snooze by shaking or double tapping the phone lightly
- Fully integrated with Apple Health. Exchanges sleep analysis and heart rate
- Customizable wake up window. From instant (regular alarm clock) up to 90 minutes
- Background mode - set your alarm and exit Sleep Cycle - sleep analysis will continue in the background
- Support for the M7 and M8 co-processor - measure your daily physical activity and see how it affects your Sleep Quality
- Export sleep data to Excel for detailed analysis
*Optional subscription of £1.49 for an online backup.
SleepBot is an intuitive smart alarm and beautiful sleep cycle tracker that lets you record movements and sounds throughout the night.
Customize how you want to sleep and wake up gently each morning during your lightest sleep phase. Listen to soothing ambient soundtracks as you fall asleep.
SleepBot is the most complete sleep tracker, smart alarm, and ambient sound machine in the App Store:
- Smart wake up: Gradual alarm based on movements and noise within 30 minutes before first alarm!
- Multiple alarms capability: Only smart alarm that lets you set multiple alarms as alerts or precautions
- Movement tracking: Adjustable sensitivity, easily compare with sound graphs
- Sound tracking: Detailed sound graphs let you play back noise with a tap
- 10 custom designed alarm soundtracks designed for Smart Wake-up
- Background mode: sleep tracking continues even in the background
- Long-term Trend graphs: length, sleep/wake times, pattern for sleep quality over time
- Statistics: Analyze any time range to see sleep debt, average sleep, etc.
- Ambient Noise: Soothing soundtracks to help you gently fall asleep
- Sleep Help: Find out how to fall asleep or stay awake from quick action lists
- Automatic Sync: backup and restore sleep data, and view it online!
- Export: Share sleep entries, graphs, and stats as images or csv
MotionX®-24/7 with Sleeptracker® patented technology has been featured in The New York Times, ABC News, Dr. Phil and many more. Sleeptracker technology helps millions of people sleep better every night and wake-up refreshed. Now you can improve your sleep naturally, maximize your sleep efficiency and wake up energised.
- Designed to wake you at the best possible moment to help you feel the most refreshed and energetic.
- Monitors your daily activity level
- Within 90% of the accuracy of professional sleep monitors used in sleep clinics
- Measures and tracks your resting heart rate
- You can record snoring or other sounds during the night to provide insight into your sleep patterns
- Tracks your body weight, and more!
Sleep Time doubles as a comprehensive sleep analysis app and alarm clock.
When you first open the app you are presented with an analogue clock to set when you would like to wake up. The app shows you how much sleep you will get if you went to bed now. Once your wake up time is set, you place your phone on your bed, facedown with the app running. This allows the app to work in the background while you sleep. I have found that having the app on my bedside table produced very similar results, if not more accurate as my partner moves around a lot a night so this would have affected the apps results.
When you are woken by the app, it is a soothing and gently rising alarm which makes a pleasant change from the usual jarring alarm in the default phone alarm. Once you acknowledge the app that you are awake, it asks you to submit a heart rate reading. This is done by using the built in phones camera. I'm not sure of the accuracy of this method but the app recommends it, to get the best results.
My favourite part of the app is looking at the stats and readings. Sleep time has lots of details about your nights sleep that can give you a better insight into what goes on. It tells you how long you actually slept, what the efficiency of that sleep was and it even shows you your sleep cycles in a hand graph. As the data builds up over time, you start to get a good idea of when the best time to go to sleep is, not when to wake up. This is just as well, because I set my alarm for 7am but the app started to wake me up at around 6:35am. This may be based on my sleep patterns and the app determining the best time to wake me.
When I did wake up to the app, I didn't feel any more refreshed, or for that matter any worse for my nights sleep. Once I give this app a good couple of weeks I'm hoping I will be able to notice more of a difference.
Sleep App is free to download from the Apple and Android app stores. But I you wish upgrade to a paid subscription you get more insights into your sleep patterns. The ability to play your own music or one of the many soundscapes will be a big deal for some. Having a paid subscription also removes the small banner ads at the foot of the app, which although not too in-your-face are very close to the icons which could cause frustration before trying to get to sleep.
The key features of the app are:
- Set the alarm clock with a single gesture
- Fall asleep to soundscapes or white noise!
- Alarm rings even in silent mode
- Choose from any of our 20 built in alarms
- OR wake up to your favorite song from iTunes!
- Sleep Lab™ with sleep cycle analysis
- Detailed monthly and weekly graphs
- Advanced wake-up optimization algorithm
- Instant Heart Rate integration to detect pulse after waking up
- Full history and graphs make comparison easy
- Backup and restore your sleep data on the cloud
- No glasses needed for our easy to read interface!
- Apple Health Integration
*Offers paid subscription
Smart Alarm Clock
The first thing you notice about Smart Alarm clock is its interface. When you open the app, you are presented with a clean and clear clock displaying the time you would like to be woken and a bit 'Start' button. Nice and clear and easy to use when you have tired eyes. On the first morning after setting the app, I was woken by my other 2 alarms (yes I need them all) but not Smart Alarm clock! I've since found there is a volume option in the right side menu, but that should be far clearer when the alarm is set. The smart algorithm of Smart Alarm Clock sleep app apparently tracks your sleep cycles and the alarm will only go off in the lightest sleep phase in your selected time range when your body is naturally ready to wake up.
I love looking at stats, so you can imagine my disappointment after finding that most of the options in the stats are locked for premium users. All I could see was an obscured graph, my total sleep time and my sleep quality. Oh and below those is a worrying long list of sounds that it detects throughout the night, each one time stamped. Even if I had the premium subscription, there is no way I'm listening to any of those 148 sound bites, A - because that would be boring and B - it will probably have some sounds I'd wished I'd not heard, such as weird cackling laugher or someone saying "you look nice when you sleep!" - sod that. There is another graph available for free users that shows your nightly sleep average and also your cumulative sleep debt.
All in all, I really liked the cleanness and simplicity of the app, but the lack of graphs and stats was a bit disappointing. At the time of writing this, the app does offer a free 7 day trial of the premium package. After those 7 days the subscription is £3.99/month.
- 6 sleep tracking modes
- Power nap mode
- Customisable sleep screen
- Great tunes for waking up and falling asleep (or add yours from Media Library)
- Recording of night noises
*Offers a free 7-day trial for all features, then £3.99/month
In the coming weeks we will be rounding up the best sleep tracking gadgets.