It’s not always about getting a good 8 hours sleep every night. Sometimes a good nap can do wonders for the rest of your day, especially if you have a long evening ahead planned. While researching the ultimate power nap, I discovered the caffeine nap or coffee nap as the best way to get maximum benefits.
What is the coffee nap?
The thinking goes, that coffee takes around 20 minutes to start taking effect on your body and brain. By drinking a cup of coffee and taking a short nap after, the coffee kicks in just as you wake up. It’s like a double whammy effect of feeling rested with the bonus of caffeine. If you don’t like coffee a cup of tea or red bull would suffice, but it doesn’t sound as cool right?
How easy is it?
Suffice to say that some people can nap better than others, but setting up the right environment will really help you succeed. Also early to mid afternoon is the best time for a nap.
- Set an alarm for 15-20 minutes. You may think that you’ll wake up when you need to, but sleeping beyond 30 minutes can actually make you feel worse as the brain slips into a deeper sleep. Being woken from this state will just make you feel groggy and worse for it. Also who knows what type of crazy dreams you’ll have when the coffee kicks in! So set that alarm for 15-20 minutes for the best nap.
- Find a relaxing environment that you can comfortably fall asleep in.
- Enjoy your coffee while getting comfy. Try to avoid digital devices as you need to minimise your brain stimulus as you relax. Take time to ponder your thoughts and unwind. Facebook can survive for 20 minutes!
- Once you’ve finished your coffee, get comfy and close your eyes!
- Wake up feeling refreshed and full of energy.